Monday 2 March 2015

HIV/AIDS: Prevention of Mother to Child Transmission of HIV Aids (PMTCT)





HIV is the human immunodeficiency virus. HIV affects specific cells of the immune system (called CD4 cells). Over time, HIV can destroy so many of these cells that the body can’t fight off infection anymore. 

The human body cannot get rid of HIV—that means once a person has HIV, he or she has it for life. There is no cure at this time, but with proper medical care, the virus can be controlled. HIV is the virus that can lead to Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome, or AIDS. AIDS is the late stage of HIV infection, when a person’s immune system is severely damaged.  

HIV in Women
Women who are infected with HIV typically get it by having sex with a man who is infected or by sharing needles with an infected person. Women of minority races/ethnicities are especially affected, and black or African American women are the most affected group.

Pregnant Women
All pregnant women should know their HIV status. Pregnant women who are HIV-positive can work with their health care providers to ensure their babies do not contract HIV during pregnancy, delivery, or after delivery (through breast milk).
 It is possible for a mother to have HIV and not spread it to her baby, especially if she knows about her HIV status early and works with her health care provider to reduce the risk. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

They say HIV/AIDS has no cure but I stand to prove them wrong!!! My name is Leo from Republic of Congo. I have lived with HIV for so many years taking anti-retroviral drugs to subside the virus, to a point I was short of money buying the drugs. But not long ago I read about Iyabiye’s medication online, I decided to try him to see if what I read was true and behold it was all true. He administered his medication to me and after using it I became cured, I went to the hospital and I was tested negative meaning I am HIV free, no more worries and no more spending unnecessarily again. Contact him if you are interested: yabiyehealinghome@gmail.com or Call/Whatsapp: +2348072229413